When you look at the different operating systems available to install on your computer, you will come up with a key difference called 32-bit and 64-bit. It is important to have a solid understanding of the exact difference between 32 and 64. When you deep dive and look at these two, you will figure out that the difference doesn’t actually lie in the operating system but in the computer hardware you have. The operating system is to provide support to the hardware. While keeping that in mind, let’s take a look at the key differences that exist between 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems.
What exactly is 32-bit?
32 bit is the CPU architecture, which is compatible with transferring just 32 bits of data. In other words, this refers to the total amount of information that can be processed by the CPU when it is performing a specific action on your computer.
What is 64-bit?
When you take a look at the 64-bit architecture, you will notice that it supports the transfer of 64 bits of data at a given time. Here, the parallel processing of data played a major role. In fact, the 64-bit microprocessors are in a position to provide computers with the ability to process memory addresses and data, which is represented through 64 bits.
Major differences that you can find in between 32 bit and 64 bit
Here are some of the key differences that you will discover between 32 bit and 64 bit. If you are concerned more about understanding the differences, you will need to look at these key differences.
- When you look at the 32-bit computers, you will figure out that they only come up with 4GB of memory addressable space. However, the 64-bit computers will provide you with a better memory addressable space of 16GB. This is why you cannot extend the memory above 4GB on a computer with a 32-bit system. Even if you plug in additional RAM cards, you will not extend memory as per your preferences.
- As mentioned in the previous point, the maximum RAM you can have in a 32-bit operating system would be 4GB. Technically it is 3.2GB. However, you are provided with the chance to get support for up to 17 billion GB of RAM in a 64-bit computer.
- When you have a 32-bit computer, you will need to consider installing a 32-bit operating system. That’s because only a 32-bit operating system would be compatible along with the computer. But when you have a 64-bit computer, you will have the freedom to run a 32-bit operating system or a 64-bit operating system. This is additional flexibility that you will be able to receive out of the computer.
- It is never recommended for you to use a 32-bit computer and proceed with stress testing. That’s because it would not be in a position to handle the load that comes along with stress testing. On the other hand, 32-bit computers are not recommended for people who wish to engage with multi-tasking. You will be able to get both works done on the 64-bit computers.
- When you look at the 32 bit operating systems, you will notice that they require 32 bit CPUs. Likewise, the 64-bit CPUs are compatible only with the 64-bit operating systems.
Why should you think about getting a 64-bit computer system?
If you are looking forward to getting a new computer system, we highly encourage you to think about spending money on a 64-bit system. That’s because it can deliver numerous amazing benefits on your way. Following are the most prominent benefits that a 64-bit computer system will be able to deliver to you.
- You will be able to experience improved performance in a 64-bit computer system. That’s because they are designed for ensuring optimum performance to the users at all times. You need to experience a high level of performance that is delivered to you.
- You can get some enhanced security features out of the 64 bit operating systems as well. Hence, you will be able to keep the computer secure and ensure that your chances of getting hacked are minimized. You will be able to discover these security features in the internal kernel processors.
- When you are using a 64-bit operating system, you are provided with the chance to go ahead and create a virtual memory of up to 16TB. Out of this, 8 TB will be assigned to the user processes. The remaining will be assigned to take care of all the kernel processors.
- You will be able to get multi-core architectures in 64-bit computer systems. They include dual-core, quad-core, six-core, and even eight-core versions. Due to this multiple core configuration, you are provided with the chance to go ahead and perform a higher number of calculations on these computer systems at a given time. Along with that, you can experience an improved processing capability offered out of them. In other words, you will feel that the 64-bit computers are running faster when compared to 32-bit computers.
Now you have a clear understanding of the differences between 32-bit computer systems and 64-bit computer systems. Keep these facts in your mind and invest in the best computer system accordingly.